NFL bias? - Learn from school sports

JaKballer
Youth Safe Haven Owner
Youth Safe Haven Owner

YSH Forum Activity Points : 2598
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 1603

NFL bias? - Learn from school sports

Post by JaKballer on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:35 pm

I just did a post on an athlete from Illinois, his name is Scott Gowan, and although he is no Tom Brady, or Mitch Trubisky, I think what he has accomplished is more newsworthy than anything sports related that I saw this past week.

When I decided to do the Post, I was thinking about the recent article that was in USA Today, “NFL Referees fight back against accusations of biased officiating”.

It made me start to think about certain teams that have gotten away with a slap on the hands on rule and sportsmanship violations, as well as certain calls on the field that seemed to favor the same team, not once, but several times.

In high school sports, and in junior high sports, fairness and sportsmanship are not only encouraged, it is required. We stand for the National Anthem and do not let politics dictate what we are there for, to play a game. We are taught to play fair, and we are told we would be judged fair by the officials who ref our games.

And from what I have seen in the years I have played sports, all teams have played fair, loses were called loses, wins were called wins, strikeouts, home runs, touchdowns were all called the way they should have been. It did not matter if you were a private or public school, if your team has well known players on it or not.

In Illinois, we have  the IHSA (Illinois High School Association), which governs all school athletics in the State of Illinois. They also train and govern all officials.  Never have I heard of them showing any favoritism.

There should not be a bias in professional sports either, but there is. You can see it watching the game, seeing teams try to win games not on their skills, but all in all cheating.

It’s sad, those of us that play sports in school look up to the professional teams and players, some are our idols, and when they cheat, and when the officials that are suppose to treats teams fair show bias, we lose all respect for the teams, players, and officials.

So no matter how famous you are, how good of an athlete you are, if you cheat, or are a party to your team cheating, and you get away with it, forever you have lost the respect of a lot of your fans, and me, and I would not attend your game if I had a lifetime of front row seats.

CaNdY~SpRiNkLeS
Chat Room Moderator
Chat Room Moderator

YSH Forum Activity Points : 320
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 240

Re: NFL bias? - Learn from school sports

Post by CaNdY~SpRiNkLeS on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 pm

This is so very true. How are we supposed to look up to professional teams when they cheat, or do not follow the rules, when we are taught and expected to do this in high school.

And we are not making the millions that the pros are. As far this Super Bowl is concerned I have no desire to watch it what so ever.
bruh._.its._.Talyn
Teen Ambassador
Teen Ambassador

YSH Forum Activity Points : 409
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 249

Post by bruh._.its._.Talyn on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Don't do things like deflate footballs and expect people to admire your team.
Ryan
Youth Safe Haven Founder

YSH Forum Activity Points : 709
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 372

Post by Ryan on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 am

Never, in all the years I have played sports,
have I ever cheated in a game, nor did the thought occur on any team I played on.
I agree, it's pretty sad when the people we look up to cut corners, and try to win by doing things in their favor that they know are rule violations.

So, who acts more professional here? It certainly is not the NFL or a few choice teams I can think of.

If you want to see  good, sportsmanship and a fair game played, attend a high school game, whether it's football, basketball, volleyball. It's not only a lot cheaper to get into, you will see these kids work hard and do their best, not for money, but for the love of the game.

Silver_1
Level 50 Chat Room Elite Member
Level 50 Chat Room Elite Member

YSH Forum Activity Points : 899
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 54

Post by Silver_1 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:01 am

affraid

Aaah....The Sad Reality Of Any Professional Sport, Now-A-Days....!

lol!

The Architect

YSH Forum Activity Points : 10
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 7

Post by The Architect on Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:45 pm

I think this problem is more widespread than you know about. Do you all remember Penn State, and the Jerry Sandusky cover up, which brought down a legend, Joe Paterno. This being on the college level. In this case it was much more than deflating footballs, or making calls that you see on the field in favor of another team, even when it should not go to them.
This case involved the sexual abuse of children. It was allowed and ignored, kept under the rug for so many years.

It makes one wonder, to what extreme will people go to get that win, that notoriety, and do they care how many people they hurt getting there?
@Dragon Rider@
Chat Room Moderator
Chat Room Moderator

YSH Forum Activity Points : 114
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 87

Post by @Dragon Rider@ on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:24 pm

This was an awesome topic, with a lot of good comments in it. If we can see this as a problem, why can't the NFL?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:58 am