YOUTH SAFE HAVEN

A fun, safe, moderated forum and chat room for kids, teens, and young adults

EventsEvents  HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  FacebookFacebook  
Welcome to Youth Safe Haven forum, and our Discord chat room.

Share | 

Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JaKoB
Youth Safe Haven Owner
Youth Safe Haven Owner

YSH Forum Activity Points : 2160
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 1348

PostSubject: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:36 pm

I have quite a few friends that use Live.me, and Musical.ly.
Although none of them have had any problems, it seems other kids have. I read this article in one of the newsletters we get sent to our forum, and wanted to share it with all of you. Just be careful, if something does not feel right that someone asks you to do, then don't do it.

Live apps allow sexual predators to interact with children

PEMBROKE PARK, Fla. - Evolving technologies mean it’s easier than ever for anyone to be live on the internet at any time.

But the apps that makes live-streaming possible are also becoming the newest tools child predators are using to reach children.

"This is what, you know, 20 years ago was the stranger offering candy to a child," Homeland Security Investigations Deputy in Charge John Tobon said.
Tobon said in this age of online celebrity, everyone wants to be the next internet sensation.

"As they chase those followers so that they can be like that is how children fall into these traps," he said.

"This is what 20 years ago was the stranger offering candy to a child," Homeland Security Investigations Deputy in Charge John Tobon said.
A 10-year-old elementary school student from Broward County -- called Maddy for this story -- used to use a live-stream app called Live.me to show off her skills as a dancer.

To show approval, followers can not only comment, but can also send gifts.

"For me, I like getting gifts, and I like when people show love and I like showing my talent," Maddy said.

The comments include praises but also pressure from strangers to do things Maddy wasn't comfortable with.

"Some of them, like, say weird stuff like, 'Can you bend over?' and all that," she said. "People, like, I'm entertaining them, and I don't want to be boring."

Maddy's mother, who didn’t want to be identified for privacy reasons, said she got a Facebook message from a watchdog group telling her predators were following Maddy's account.

"Some of them say weird stuff like, 'Can you bend over?' and all that."
"There were predators watching her broadcast, making comments, asking her to undress," she said. "(There were) grown men, some of them as old as 70."

A quick search of broadcasts shows young girls doing everything from dancing provocatively to exposing themselves as followers urge them to do more.

"They take showers and bring the phones in with them," Maddy's mother said.

How easy does this make it for predators to prey on a child?

"It's virtually a storefront, really," Tobon said. "They can just go from broadcast to broadcast."

The app's warranty disclaimer states that use of the service will be at the user's risk and that it assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from the use of the service.

Maddy's mom said by the time children realize something is wrong, they often feel it's too late to speak up.

"There's an actual phrase for when these images are used against somebody, and it's called 'sextortion,'" Tobon said.

It's illegal, but the anonymity and volume of people online make it hard for law enforcement and companies to crack down on this behavior.

"You'll shut an account down, but they'll be able to open up another one," Tobon said. "So it's-a whack-a-mole type of situation."

Tobon said these interactions can often lead predators to ask to meet the child in person.

"We understand the challenges of managing a social community and take our responsibility in protecting our users very seriously," Live.me said in a statement. "Our community guidelines reflect our zero tolerance policy towards any indecent or inappropriate behavior, and we actively support law enforcement in identifying and prosecuting any users found to be violating any laws or endangering our community in any way. The live broadcasting space is a new frontier in how people connect with one another, and we strive to ensure the Live.me community is a safe and friendly place for all users. Beyond automatic software detection and human moderators currently in-place, we have also developed tools for users themselves to block people from their broadcasts and self-report any harassment they may feel."

The best defense for a parent is knowing what app a child is using and having an individual account.

Back to top Go down
http://youthsafehaven.editboard.com/ Online
CaNdY~SpRiNkLeS

YSH Forum Activity Points : 222
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 169

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Jakob,

First off, I love this new section you put in here where the Founders we do not see all the time, communicate with all of us here.

Second, this post is great, I hope it will make people think about anyone that follows them on these apps that does not seem quite right.
Back to top Go down
Adam_G
**Honorary Member VIP**
**Honorary Member VIP**

YSH Forum Activity Points : 808
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 499

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 pm

I agree with Savanna 100% on both points
Back to top Go down
Ryon<99>

YSH Forum Activity Points : 175
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 135

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Spot on with this post Jakob. I think it's great that things like this are shared with everyone here.
Back to top Go down
Silver_1
Level 50 Chat Room Elite Member
Level 50 Chat Room Elite Member

YSH Forum Activity Points : 718
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 49

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Glad To See The New Section, With An Excellent 1rst Post....!

Presenting Constant Warnings Of The Unfortunate Side To Having A 'Free Access' Internet, Is (Hopefully) A Good Reminder To Parents & Guardians That THEY Need To Be On Top Of What Is Going On....!

Arrow  cyclops  Arrow
Back to top Go down
[{{Pro-Passer}}]

YSH Forum Activity Points : 71
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 52

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Good stuff to pass on to younger brothers or sisters too!!

Great job Jakob, with the post and the new section.
Back to top Go down
Thrill/*seek*/Repeat
Youth Ambassador
Youth Ambassador

YSH Forum Activity Points : 150
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 116

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Learned something good after I read this, did not know it was a large problem now I will really pay attention.

Back to top Go down
Ḳëäġäṅ
Youth Ambassador
Youth Ambassador

YSH Forum Activity Points : 148
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 109

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:39 pm

cheers  thanks Jakob  cheers
Back to top Go down
BaBy_BluE
Social Media Coordinator
Social Media Coordinator

YSH Forum Activity Points : 81
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 62

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Having a younger brother, I appreciate posts like this one. I think it speaks loudly about Youth Safe Haven that they really do care about their youth members and like to educate them about situations such as the problem with these apps, that can get kids and teens in over their head.
Back to top Go down
liv_n_the_lyfe
Chat Room Administrator
Chat Room Administrator

YSH Forum Activity Points : 548
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 453

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 pm

It upsets me so much each time I hear about something like this, that so many adults act like that towards kids, they are suppose to set the example and be role models, but instead they are trying to harm kids by being sexual with them.
Back to top Go down
Pandabear

YSH Forum Activity Points : 93
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 72

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:30 pm

I think informative posts like this one, and a few that have been done in the past with safety awareness, are a great idea. I know many of our members appreciate them, and learn from them.

It will also be nice to hear directly from the 3 people that own Youth Safe Haven as they communicate with all of us, where we may reply and give our own opinions to topics that they have shared.
Back to top Go down
xPoonDogg2003x
Youth Ambassador
Youth Ambassador

YSH Forum Activity Points : 290
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 222

PostSubject: Re: Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children   Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:07 pm

I use both those apps and only had one person that I thought was a freak, but that is all that ever bothered me with anytying that did not seem normal.

Sexual Predators Use Live Apps to Lure Children
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1