Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JaKoB
Youth Safe Haven Owner
Youth Safe Haven Owner

YSH Forum Activity Points : 2335
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 1464

PostSubject: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:55 am

For all of us in sports, we need to remember that we all need to get enough sleep, and eat the right kinds of food to keep our body fueled with the right amount of calories. So if your coach or school has not given you some idea's, here are some my school put out:

Carbohydrates

Whole-grain bread, pasta and brown rice, as well as plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, such as melon, berries, carrots and broccoli. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables are the most nutrient-dense options to supply your teen with the carbohydrates he needs to play well. Skip refined grains and foods with added sugar, though they do contain carbohydrates. White bread and pasta contain less fiber and more added sugar, which won't keep your child full for long periods of time and can cause an energy slump before a practice or game is over. They also tend to digest more quickly, which can leave your teen hungry before he's done playing.

Protein

Foods rich in protein help your teen's body build and repair muscle so that he is strong enough to participate in sports. Feed your 14-year-old lean sources of protein, such as beef, pork, white-meat chicken and fish. Beans, eggs, nuts, seeds, tofu and low-fat dairy foods are nutritious sources of protein as well. Your teen likely gets plenty of protein from a regular diet, and he doesn't need to consume excess amounts of the nutrient. Too much protein can cause dehydration and calcium loss, KidsHealth reports.

Fat

Healthy unsaturated fats supply your teen athlete with long-lasting energy to play sports. Serve your teen avocados, salmon, walnuts and olive oil to ensure that he consumes plenty of healthy fats, such as omega-3 fatty acids. These acids supply energy but benefit the health of your teen's heart as well, MayoClinic.com reports. Skip unhealthy saturated and trans fats found in fast food, frozen pizza and packaged, baked goods because they aren't nutritious sources of energy. They can actually slow your teen down and negatively impact his performance. ( I AVOID MCDONALDS)

Nutrients

Certain foods will provide your 14-year-old with the vitamins and minerals he needs to perform well. Serve him low-fat dairy foods, such as milk, cheese and yogurt, because they supply the 1,000 to 1,300 milligrams of calcium he needs for strong bones. Strong bones will help reduce his risk of stress fractures. Iron is an essential nutrient for teen athletes. The mineral carries oxygen to every part of your child's body. Lean meat, fish, eggs, dried fruit, fortified grains and dark green, leafy vegetables, such as spinach, are healthy foods to ensure that your child gets the 8 milligrams of iron he needs each day.

Back to top Go down
http://youthsafehaven.editboard.com/
/2/Savage/4/U
Chat Room Moderator
Chat Room Moderator

YSH Forum Activity Points : 34
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 26

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:10 am

Great post Jakob. I avoid McDonalds as well, not just during wrestling season but pretty much the rest of the year too. If I have to go there because there is no place else to eat, I will get the chicken nuggets and a milkshake
Back to top Go down
@Dragon Rider@
Chat Room Moderator
Chat Room Moderator

YSH Forum Activity Points : 100
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 79

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 am

For me, it's Subway for fast food. I like the topic here because too many younger kids eat way too much junk food which is full of fat. Also, take a look around the schools in the younger grades and see the amount of obese kids in there.
Back to top Go down
Volleygirl

YSH Forum Activity Points : 391
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 283

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:31 am

Diabetes runs in our family, so I keep that in mind when I choose certain foods. Although I never tested positive for Diabetes, about a year ago I was not too far from the borderline with sort of woke me up. I do not want to have to take insulin for the rest of my life. I am a junkie for McDonald's I admit, but during volleyball season, I try to avoid going there. My downfall is I still crave Doritos's, apple turnovers, and Cheetos. I try to pace myself though on snacks eating Granola bars and trail mix as a snack.
Back to top Go down
xPoonDogg2004x
Youth Ambassador
Youth Ambassador

YSH Forum Activity Points : 327
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 253

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:37 am

I have trouble cause I hide junk food, my mom cooks all the food I should be eating but sometimes I cheat and want more chocolate and snacks.

Silver_1
Level 50 Chat Room Elite Member
Level 50 Chat Room Elite Member

YSH Forum Activity Points : 771
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 49

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:23 pm

NO FAST FOOD....?

Oh Yeah, I'm Not A Growing Teen...& Not Actively Involved In Sports....Phew...!

Really Good Info For All Of You Whom Are, Though....!

cheers
Back to top Go down
Ḳëäġäṅ
Youth Ambassador
Youth Ambassador

YSH Forum Activity Points : 165
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 125

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:37 pm

I eat lots of fruits like banana's and apples and drink a lot of milk, I do not eat a lot of sweets cause my mom does not keep a lot of them in the house. My cereal is sugar, Captain Crunch.
Back to top Go down
Thrill/*seek*/Repeat
Youth Ambassador
Youth Ambassador

YSH Forum Activity Points : 150
YSH Reputation Points For An Outstanding Post : 116

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:02 pm

I always ate healthy before, but since I was sick a while ago it means more to me now to eat healthy so I can stay healthy.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes   

Back to top Go down

Healthy Foods for 13, 14, 15, 16 year old athletes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1